We invite you to come and visit one of our beautiful libraries. You will be able to relax with a good book or magazine in one of our many comfortable chairs. You can browse through our outstanding collection of adult and children’s items or borrow items from another library, if our collection doesn’t contain the item you are looking for.
Ask our helpful reference staff to guide you when you need information. Escape to a quiet corner of the library to concentrate on a special project and get away from telephone calls.
We want your visit to be rewarding, so we invite you to share your ideas and suggestions with us. Our goal is to provide an excellent service to you as a visitor of the Kennemerwaard Public Library. We hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How can I join the library?
Register for a library card at the customer service desk of the library. The application will only take you a couple of minutes. Online registration is also possible and easy to do.
You can choose between four different types of membership. A basic membership, a full membership for frequent users, an all-inclusive monthly membership (monthly card). And a light membership (chip card) for light users.
You can find the prices in our “Charges leaflet” which is also available at the customer service desk.
For children up to 18 years membership is free of charge.
For all new adult members we charge a registration fee of € 5,00. Your membership is valid for 12 months and will be renewed automatically unless you cancel it 8 weeks before the expiry date. The monthly pass card can be cancelled on a monthly basis.
To join the library you will need a identification card such as a driver’s license or a passport.
The subscription for children under 18 is free. The registration fee for children is € 2,50.
For children under 14, a parent or guardian must complete the application and provide identification and an address verification. You are not allowed to borrow item for adults on a child’s membership card.
How many items may I borrow? / How long may I keep these items?
- If you have a standard membership you can borrow 8 items for a maximum of 3 weeks.
All items can be borrowed free of charge except Sprinters*.
The loan period for Sprinters is 1 week.
For Sprinters there is a fee of € 2,00
- If you have a full membership you can borrow 16 items for a maximum of 6 weeks.
The loan period for Sprinters is 2 weeks. All items, including Sprinters, can be borrowed free of charge.
- If you have a light membership (chip card) you can borrow items for a maximum of 3 weeks. The costs are € 2,00 for each single item.
The loan period for Sprinters is 1 week.
For Sprinters there is a fee of € 4,00.
- If you have an all-inclusive monthly card you can borrow as many items as you like for a maximum of 6 weeks. The loan period for Sprinters is 2 weeks. All items, including Sprinters, can be borrowed free of charge.
*Sprinters are most newly published books. Sprinter are always in the Dutch language.
How much will it cost if I return items late?
- The charge for all overdue items is € 0,35 per item, per day.
- For Sprinters the overdue charge is € 0,50 per item, per day.
- The maximum charge will not exceed € 5,00 per item.
- The library sends notices when items are overdue. If you have an email account that you check regularly, you should add your email address to your library card record, since this is the fastest way to receive an overdue notice.
Damaged or lost items
If you lose or damage item, you will be charged the cost of replacing the item and the processing costs. Please check all items before borrowing and point out any damage to one of our staff members. If a book or other item is damaged while on loan to you, please let us know.
Items can be renewed unless there is a reservation on this item. Kennemerwaard Public Library allows up to 3 renewals on each item. The first time it is free, the second and third time you pay € 2,00 for each single item you renew. Children are able to renew items free of charge up to a maximum of 2 times. The new date of return is calculated from the date of renewal.
You can renew items in several ways:
- Call the telephone number of the location where you borrowed the items during opening hours. You will need the number of your library card.
- Use one of the Self Service Computers when you are in the library. You will need your library card.
- Online at www.bibliotheekkennemerwaard.nl on any computer. Go to My Account and log on with the number on your library card and password.
You can return items at one of the 14 locations of Kennemerwaard Public Library. Go to www.bibliotheekkennemerwaard.nl for the locations.
How do I obtain items that are checked out?
If all copies of the item you want are in circulation, we recommend that you to make a reservation. This prevents the item.
item from being renewed. When a copy is available, we will hold it for you, and notify you that it is available. This service is free of charge.
You may also place a reservation if Kennemerwaard copies are unavailable, but a copy is available at another public library. The item will be delivered to the Kennemerwaard Public Library at a location of your choice. You will be notified when the items have arrived. This service is not free of charge. (Your local library can advise you on the costs).
How we will contact you when your reservations are available
The fastest way to contact you is via email. If you have an email account that you check regularly, we advise you to add your email address to your library card record. You will need the number on your library card and password to do this.
How do I access my library account?
- Talk to a staff member at the customer service desk. You will need your library card.
- Use one of the Public Access Computers when you are in the library. You will need the number on your library card and password.
- Online at www.bibliotheekkennemerwaard.nl on any computer. Go to My Account and log in with the number on your library card and password.
What can I do with my account?
- View a list of the items you have checked out and the dates they are due for return.
- Renew items that are checked out if there aren’t any holds on them.
- Update your contact information, such as address, phone number and email.
- Change your password.
Important information about your library card
If your name, address or phone number changes please contact us to update your library card record.
Your card is nontransferable, it’s only for your personal use.
If you lose your card please contact us immediately so we can block it so it can’t be used anymore.
The replacement cost of your card are € 5,00.
When the fines reach € 5,00, borrowing privileges are suspended.
To place a reservation or obtain information about your library account, you will need your library card.
Free WiFi is available at every Kennemerwaard Library location.
Gasthuisstraat 2, 1811 KC Alkmaar
T 072 – 515 66 44 | | www.bibliotheekkennemerwaard.nl